Today, I decided that my new desktop shouldn’t sit around idle while I’m just browsing the web or watching silly videos of cats doing almost human things on youtube.
So, in the interest of humanity, I registered my own Folding@Home team, and installed the folding client on my desktop PC and my two laptops.
The team name I’ve gone for is Team Interrupt Request, and it’s going to be interesting to see how much processing power my systems can contribute over the new few months, and if other people decide to join in.
Right, aside from the minor thing of not having the m.2 SSD installed yet, the system is pretty much complete. I’ve got my lovely white ram, and I’m temporarily running Windows on my 850 EVO drive for now. I simply wanted to get the new system up and running so I could overhaul the old one before getting rid of it. I’m pretty happy with the results, seeing as it’s my first ever custom water cooling loop. I’ve learned a lot, which will certainly come in handy for future builds. I made some mistakes, but none that were severe. I found that I should’ve done a few things slightly differently, but nothing major. And at the end of it all, I have a really nice looking, fast and very cool running system, which should last me a good few years.
But honestly though… We all know that I’ll be upgrading the graphics at some point in a not too distant future 😉
Oh my, where to begin. I’ve been having a cold, and I’ve been waiting for the last of my tubes (ended up ruining too many to get the final couple of runs installed) but eventually, things are looking up. I’ve had a little test run with purified water, just to rule out any catastrophic fountain effects, I figured it would be safer to do that with pure water than with brightly coloured coolant, and it’s looking good. This also allowed me to boot the system, just to make sure that the graphics card survived the waterblock installation, which it has, and it also let me find out that one of the shops where I’ve bought my parts, sent me the wrong capacity M.2 SSD, so that’s being replaced. Hopefully I’ll be able to get the new NVMe based Samsung 950 Pro instead, which is black, and will match my colour scheme much better.
Things have been progressing really slowly because of little details things, which means that by now I’m getting really impatient. Fortunately I’ve been informed that my white sleeved CableMod PSU cables have been shipped, so they should arrive some time next week most likely. At that point, there won’t really be anything else missing, other than the replacement M.2 SSD, so I might actually consider installing Windows on the 1TB SATA drive temporarily, so that I can at least run some benchmarks and perhaps even do some overclocking.
To end this post, I thought I’d post the first “glamour shot” of the system with coolant.
Yesterday was the big tube bending day. After a very long day (and evening) of trying to get it all to fit, I eventually ended up having wasted a whole lot of tubing. Fortunately something good came out of it. Two pieces of tube DID get finished and mounted, a bending jig was MacGyver’ed and I learned a lot about bending tubes. The downside is that I’ve now run out of tubes completely so I had to order some more directly from EKWB.
Hopefully, with my new knowledge of tube bending and a new supply of PETG tubes, I’ll be able to get the last of the tubing fitted to the system over the next few days and be ready for leak testing. That’s when the scary part begins 😉
Right. In preparation for getting the new system done, I decided I wanted to try out Eyefinity. I tried out using mismatched monitors, but this ended up having too many issue invovled, biggest of which was the difference in pixel size.
After a lot of deliberation, I decided to look up some shops that sell second hand computers and office equipment, and ended up finding a pair of older relatives of the monitor I already have. The ones in question are semi-pro grade 24″ Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP, sporting 1920 by 1200 resolution and an S-PVA panel. These should be a pretty good match for my current Dell UltraSharp U2410 with the same resolution except an IPS panel. After sorting some cable issues out (currently running this monitor setup on my old computer) I finally had working 5760×1200 Eyefinity.
And the results? Well, let’s just say, Windows has never looked so wide 😛
Yeah, so I messed up my pattern of semi clever titles. Just wanted to do a little update to mention that I finally got my Bitfenix Alchemy white sleeved sata cables. They look pretty nice in my opinion. First part of the cabling that is actually right so far.
Right… Installing the pump ended up being more complicated than I had anticipated. I realize now that I should probably have gone with a pump/reservoir combo unit, but hey, it’s mounted into the case now. It was a several hour long process of trial and error, and the fact that I went a bit overkill with the front radiator, 280mm, rather than going with an easier to fit 240mm, probably only added to the problems. I’ve been forced to rethink my drain system though, as the placement of pump and reservoir prevents me from hooking the drain up to the bottom of the reservoir.
Anyway, now that it’s installed, I’ve also mounted all the other major components. The only real job remaining now, is to do all the tubing. That’s going to be a slow process I think, but I’d rather do it slow and steady than to end up making too many mistakes and having to buy more tubes. Doing all the cables and cable management of course also remains, but that will be the last thing, and with a bit of luck, I’ll get my custom sleeved power cables before having to do that. If not, I’ll use the standard ones temporarily.
Oh, and I need to not forget to sleeve the cables for the pump.
And install the new power and hdd-activity LEDs.
And leak testing of course…
Right, perhaps there’s a bit more left to do after all 😉